The Green Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Green Forum

The Green Forum for Wild Food, Eco Companies, Sustainability, Vegetable Growing and Medicinal Plants

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Growing Strawberries

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

Growing Strawberries Empty
PostSubject: Growing Strawberries   Growing Strawberries EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 3:23 am

Is anyone growing strawberries? I started with around 9 seedlings but only three survived.
Check out this monster. I couldnt believe it when it turned red but it looks like the perfect strawberry.. My girlfriend think shes eating it but I have other plans!
strawwberry
Growing Strawberries P3006110
Back to top Go down
https://greenforum.forumotion.co.uk
olgraybear

PostSubject: Re: Growing Strawberries   Growing Strawberries EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 11:45 am

Yes,

I'm growing strawberrys,

having a great time,
what would you like to know?
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

PostSubject: Re: Growing Strawberries   Growing Strawberries EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 7:55 pm

olgraybear wrote:
Yes,

I'm growing strawberrys,

having a great time,
what would you like to know?

Hi
Did you plant from seed and if so how quickly or slowly did they grow???
Back to top Go down
olgraybear

PostSubject: Re: Growing Strawberries   Growing Strawberries EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 3:20 am

No sorry I did not plant from seed.

It is a slow, painstaking process that way. I planted plants that were taken from runners of a mother plant. (Established production plant). Each year a plant puts out runners, and if left to go I have seen them get as long as 6 feet (2 meters ?), and a baby plant about every foot which obtains nutrients from the runner but also establishes roots at the same time. My plants have as many as 3 runners per plant, so needless to say, gobs of young plants taking off. You should note that once a baby plant has established roots it can be cut from the runner.

I would recommend that when you do this tho, wait until the plants go dormant in late fall, early winter time, then you can just trowel them up and replant them increasing your own plot, or give them away.
The longer you have strawberrys and your bed becomes more established, you'll find that you will have more plants than you need. It is necessary to "cull" your plot or they will become too thick and die.

Strawberrys are also suseptible to disease. Avoid Solanaceous crops like tomatoes, potatoes,
peppers, and eggplant that may harbor diseases such as Verticillium. Don't plant in locations where these plants have grown before.

If your berrys do get sick, diseased, there is some organic methods which work, i.e. - a yeast & sugar in water mix, or yeast, sugar and milk, and the old reliable baking soda in water, or milk, the milk has other aspects of anti fungal properties and it seems to "stick" to the plant more than water, you might just have to experiment for yourself, to see which one works for you the best. You don't need to drown or bath them in the mix, just mix a small amount in spray bottle and mist the affected areas.

Strawberrys also get along well with brocolli, they like and help each other.

Also, there are essentially 3 basic types of plants, Junebears, which puts out its fruit typically in June or July, (occasionally you'll see some oddballs put on) afterwards, and like to put on alot of runners, and this type can make very large berrys

Everbears - which put on fairly steadily, but produces fewer runners, and the berrys tend to be smaller and sweet,

and lastly, Day Neutrals - which bear most of the growing season, doesn't get many runners, berrys not typically very large, but ships and stores well or better than the other two varieties,

I have some pdf docs on strawberrys that I would gladly share with anyone who wishes.

I hope this helps some,

Here is pics of one of my pyramids of strawberriesGrowing Strawberries Dsc01312

this is just after first planting,

and this is today, 2Aug2011, Growing Strawberries Dsc01815

We have been in an extreme heat and drought as of lately and I've been having to water. There's a little stress on the plants right now, but I'm waiting till this evening when the temp drops, and the sun goes down so that it doesn't shock them and steam the roots, ,
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

PostSubject: Re: Growing Strawberries   Growing Strawberries EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks Bear
strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry strawwberry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Growing Strawberries   Growing Strawberries Empty

Back to top Go down

Growing Strawberries
Page 1 of 1