The Green Forum

The Green Forum for Wild Food, Eco Companies, Sustainability, Vegetable Growing and Medicinal Plants

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Using Eco Friendly Shopping Bags to transplant your plants into

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Floyd
Admin

PostSubject: Using Eco Friendly Shopping Bags to transplant your plants into   Fri May 06, 2011 8:32 pm

This is an idea I pinched from my mum. Basically you take on of those straw like reusable supermarket eco bags, fill it with compost, water it a little, then take your carrots, leeks or whatever and transfer them into the bag before adding a little more water as required.

You can make holes in the bottom of the bag for drainage though these types of bags are very porous any way.

This is a great idea if you want to move your crop off the ground, need to move it around to get maximum sunlight or have minimal space in which to grow outdoors. Theoretically, you could even take it to the beach with you or even to your aunties for tea.

They are fairly deep so can handle most things.

This year im going to transplant my massive courgette plant into one as I think its only big enough for one. I will make a short video of the operation and post it here so you can all have a good laugh.

Last edited by Floyd on Wed May 18, 2011 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://greenforum.forumotion.co.uk
Dawn

PostSubject: Re: Using Eco Friendly Shopping Bags to transplant your plants into   Mon May 09, 2011 12:32 pm

This is a neat idea. With carrots, could you sow seeds directly into the bag?

Yes, please post a video or pictures if you try growing something this way, that would be great!

Last edited by Dawn on Mon May 09, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Using Eco Friendly Shopping Bags to transplant your plants into   Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Dawn wrote:
This is a neat idea. With carrots, could you sow seeds directly into the bag?

Theoritically I suppose you could but It may be better to thin carrots out into the bags after planting them somewhere else first. I supposed there are no hard and fast rules. I think its good to experiment and I generally just make things up as I go along.
Will post vid soon. Need to perform some surgery on my courgettes before transplanting. Dont ask!
Back to top Go down
Green Grass

PostSubject: Re: Using Eco Friendly Shopping Bags to transplant your plants into   Mon May 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Floyd! would you mind posting here your new video ????

Thanks

cyclops
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin

PostSubject: Growing Courgette in an Eco Bag   Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Back to top Go down
Dawn

PostSubject: Re: Using Eco Friendly Shopping Bags to transplant your plants into   Tue May 17, 2011 8:47 am

Thank you, Floyd! That is a great video, and I hope you post more of them! You have a great sense of humor - I found myself laughing out loud several times watching The Great Courgette Transplant. (The "casualty" that broke off..."ahh, we'll just add that to the compost...oh, s***!" Shocked LOL!)

Serenading the plant as you transplant it... So nice to know there are folks out there on my wavelength. I often make up songs for my cats and talk at the veggies outside. Just for fun, of course. Neighbours likely think I'm bonkers. Who cares, the cats and the veggies appreciate it. I think. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Using Eco Friendly Shopping Bags to transplant your plants into   Tue May 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Dawn wrote:
Thank you, Floyd! That is a great video, and I hope you post more of them! You have a great sense of humor - I found myself laughing out loud several times watching The Great Courgette Transplant. (The "casualty" that broke off..."ahh, we'll just add that to the compost...oh, s***!" Shocked LOL!)

Serenading the plant as you transplant it... So nice to know there are folks out there on my wavelength. I often make up songs for my cats and talk at the veggies outside. Just for fun, of course. Neighbours likely think I'm bonkers. Who cares, the cats and the veggies appreciate it. I think. Laughing

Yes the oh sXXt moment was quite amusing when I played it back. The plants love a good tune. Will post some more soon when I get time to edit a bit more.
Any of you guys with vids or pics please send em to me for dedicated pages. I find its a useful way of seing where you are up to and how things are coming along.
Cheers
Floyd
Back to top Go down
silver*

PostSubject: Re: Using Eco Friendly Shopping Bags to transplant your plants into   Thu May 19, 2011 9:31 pm

found this easy idea no excuses now
Not sure how long they would last but you could always double up

silver*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Eco Friendly Shopping Bags to transplant your plants into   

Back to top Go down

Using Eco Friendly Shopping Bags to transplant your plants into
Page 1 of 1