The Green Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Green Forum

The Green Forum for Wild Food, Eco Companies, Sustainability, Vegetable Growing and Medicinal Plants

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dawn's Garden

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyMon May 30, 2011 7:25 am

I thought I would make a separate thread for pics of my garden, that way I won't be monopolizing the "Garden Updates" thread!

Fingers crossed I can figure out how to post pics...they are all in JPG format but with no "link" attached...

Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyMon May 30, 2011 7:41 am

Okay....here is the first batch of pics...

1) tomato, cabbage, and pepper seedlings

Dawn's Garden  Tomato13

2) Australian Butter Squash and pansy seedlings

Dawn's Garden  Austra11

3) New garden in front yard - white containers lining it have lemon balm, basil, rosemary, and parsley planted.

Dawn's Garden  New_ga10

4) Canadian Wild Goose bean seedlings (planted in one of the flower beds)

Dawn's Garden  Canadi10

5) Rogue sunflower seeds that started sprouting everywhere...in the garden, in containers - in this case, in my rosemary pot! They must have survived the winter in the compost bin. tongue

Dawn's Garden  Rogue_10

Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyMon May 30, 2011 7:48 am

And some more....

1) sugar snap peas
2) sugar snap peas

Dawn's Garden  Peas_111

Dawn's Garden  Peas_210

3) Acorn squash is planted in the large, black container, and "dinner plate" dahlias are in the smaller containers.

Dawn's Garden  Acorn_10

4) I'm calling this my "wall of shame". This is the first year I've had to buy some tomato and pepper plants to grow as insurance, in case the ones I started indoors don't grow/produce. I started things in March, but the tomatoes and peppers are still small (plus the tomatoes got sun scorched when I put them out on the front step two weeks ago for several hours. Opps.) All but two of these were bought at the local greenhouse a few days ago.

Dawn's Garden  Wall_o10

Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyMon May 30, 2011 7:56 am

The last batch for now...

1) This is a Martino Roma tomato (heirloom) that I grew and a marigold.

Dawn's Garden  My_mar10

2) One of three Australian Butter Squash (heirloom) I planted. I think they are going to take over the back yard. Hee hee.

Dawn's Garden  Aus_bu10

3) One of the flower beds...has chamomile, pansies (bought at the greenhouse...mine are coming along, but they are still tiny), teddy bear sunflowers, and silver mound (perennial)

Dawn's Garden  Flower10

4) A new, large rock bed my boyfriend put together a few weeks ago. I planted my cabbage seedlings in it - "Mammoth Red" and "Early Jersey" (heirlooms). This is an experiment. Haven't grown cabbage before. Fingers crossed.

Dawn's Garden  Cabbag10

5) The strawberry bed

Dawn's Garden  Strawb10

Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyMon May 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi dawn

Thanks very much for sharing all this. The Garden looks great and it looks like you are really going for it.

I had some hidden sunflowers too but im leaving them to grow in seperate pots.

Please keep us updated with your progress. It would be great if you could send me some videos of your garden and I will upload it to the vegetable garden section on the website as well as our metacafe account. Very good work.

Funky. strawwberry
Back to top Go down
https://greenforum.forumotion.co.uk
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:16 am

I AM NOT PLEASED. Evil or Very Mad

It rained all night, which was great - we need the rain in this region.

As I left to walk to work this morning at 9am, it was still raining, and all around, petals from the crab apple trees were drifting down. Very pretty. About 5 minutes into my walk, as I was crossing the highway, I realized they were still falling, but they couldn't possibly be blossom petals. Then I realized they were big, fluffy snowflakes.

No problem. It was still mild and nothing was "sticking" (meaning everything melted as soon as it hit the ground).

By the time I reached the office, it was snowing fairly hard, but still, mild and nothing sticking.

It's now 5:10pm and I'm home. It has snowed or stormed ice pellets all BLEEPING day. And it's sticking now. The temps went from 20 to 1 degree Celsius in that time. We were just outside putting yogurt containers over the tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and squash in the hope that they might still make it. We're hoping the beans, beets, chard, and flower seedlings can fend for themselves. It's supposed to get down to -1 tonight, which isn't a good thing.

I took pictures, which I'll post later.

I am so disappointed. I have been growing some of these things and yearning to garden since the first week of March. Please send good vibes (WARM ones) my way.

Back to top Go down
silver*

silver*

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 9:26 pm

Hope everything has survived .Am sending warm Reiki thoughts. Get some more seeds started inside just incase !
It was /is looking so good you have been working very hard I hope all is ok

I couldnt grow those sorts of plants outside as we arent warm enough to have them mature well in time so I grow them in my poly tunnel It might be an idea to invest in some wee ones then you could put them over if the temp drops again, if very cold a blanket or bubble rap on top ( and maybe a hotwater bottle ) I have had this 1 for a couple of years , has earnt its keep !
Dawn's Garden  09211
sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny
silver*
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Dawn wrote:
. Please send good vibes (WARM ones) my way.

Vibes currently being processed
banana split
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 2:20 am

Thank you for your warm vibes and suggestions. We finally have our sunshine back. What crummy weather we had on June 3rd with all the snow and ice pellets! From what I can tell, most of my vegetables have made it, except for a few bean plants, some marigolds, and the cucumbers. By the next day, it had all melted, and it rained on and off for days. Now, the garden looks white again, almost exactly like it did June 3rd, but this time it is because of the massive amounts of poplar tree fuzz and dandelion fuzz floating through the air! Yesterday, it was so thick in the air, it looked like a snowfall. Wild.

I'll post more pictures in a week or two, hopefully my things will have grown a bit more by then. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 11:00 am

Hi everyone,

Just took a few pictures of the garden and container veggies. I'll post them as soon as I can. Please forgive the abundance of weeds! It has poured almost constantly for two weeks - we have received more rain in the past week than we had all last summer. The ground is completely saturated. It's impossible to hoe at the moment, and there are too many to pull by hand. Today, finally, the sun has returned! I'm looking forward to things drying out so I get attack those weeds. banana colours
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Yep its been raining cats and dogs

good luck with the hoedown Dawn
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 3:32 am

Here are the pics I took from our June 3rd snow/ice fall...

Dawn's Garden  Snow_j10

Dawn's Garden  Snow_j11
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 3:44 am

Updated Garden Pictures Very Happy

Peas (and LOTS of buckets used to catch the massive amount of rain we received recently)
Dawn's Garden  Peas_j10

Garden
Dawn's Garden  Garden10

Beets and Canadian Wild Goose beans
Dawn's Garden  Beets_10

Cabbage Bed and Mammoth Red Cabbage
Dawn's Garden  Cabbag10

Dawn's Garden  Mammot10

Chamomile
Dawn's Garden  Chamom10

Australian Butter Squash
Dawn's Garden  Austra10

Hoping for some warmth and sunshine in July so these things can really take off!

Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 3:07 am

These are great pictures dawn looks like you are really cutting the cheese with your garden and im very impressesd. Im also green with envy. would you like to swap a garden for a balcony and Ill throw in my Pink Floyd vinyl collection
Crazy dance

Please make a vid when you can and I will post it in the vegetable garden vid section.

I think we should start a watering can thread with pics of our watering cans!

Bloody marvelous girl.
Back to top Go down
olgraybear

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 11:56 am

Woooo Hoooo Dawn,

Looking great... ! ! !

Looking forward the more pics or even the video if you can.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 6:49 am

Here is an update of the garden! Pictures were taken at the end of July, 2011. Lots of nice foliage, but I'm not sure I'm actually going to get many vegetables from my efforts this year. (This morning, it was a "balmy" 8 degrees Celsius!)

1) Potato patch - My BF planted twice...the first batch from leftovers from last year's potatoes...they didn't look like they were coming up, so he bought some seed potatoes and planted those. As it turned out, both batches started coming up (late, of course), so the patch looks a little chaotic. We'll have loads if they do well, though

Dawn's Garden  Potato10

2) The cabbage are doing well and I'll likely grow more next year. In the middle, I recently planted some basil seed (that's what's covered by the green mesh so the cats don't dig in). I spotted some dreaded cabbage moths flitting around the cabbage and kale yesterday and was chasing them away every 20 minutes like a mad woman, waving a flip-flop sandal in the air. Next year I'll buy some floating row cover to use over anything I grow from the cabbage family! For now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Dawn's Garden  Cabbag11

3) Nasturtiums and "Dinner Plate Dahlias" on the front step. (Did I mention I don't live in a mansion? *cough* Rolling Eyes ) Usually the dahlias have big blooms by now, but everything is weeks behind.

Dawn's Garden  Nastur10

4) The Swiss chard has done well, as it always does, and the bugs don't go near it. Good stuff.

Dawn's Garden  Swiss_10

5) The flower bed with pansies, a bit of basil, teddy bear sunflowers (which haven't opened yet!), and a bit of creeping thyme. I did have chamomile at the end of the bed, but it was self-seeding EVERYWHERE (in the garden, the compost, the other vegetable beds, etc) so I decided to save some seed and take the chamomile out! The bed behind it has a few beets and Canadian Wild Goose dry beans.

Dawn's Garden  Flower10

Dawn's Garden  Flower11
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 7:03 am

End of July 2011 pics continued...

6) The main garden

Dawn's Garden  Main_g10

7) Marigolds, kidney beans, and Scotch Curly Kale

Dawn's Garden  Marigo10

Cool Tomatoes and peppers (remember my "wall of shame"? Most of these were bought at a nursery rather than started from seed by me. *L*). No fruit yet.

Dawn's Garden  Tomato10

9) Australian Butter Squash (all the squash-to-be are on the other side, near the fence)

Dawn's Garden  Austra11

10) Some "rogue" dill, which grew at the back of the house from last year's batch.

Dawn's Garden  Dill10

11) One of our cats next to the lilac bush, supervising. Very Happy

Dawn's Garden  Fuzzib10

This has been the coolest summer I have experienced in my life. Combine that with trying to garden in zone 2a, and you have a challenging growing season. I am already plotting what I might plant next summer. I think I will spend the winter researching short season heirloom varieties!

Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Great Pics dawn thanks for sharing. Looking Good. The summer has been so bad its beyond belief. Im gonna struggle to get any peppers.

That's one cool cat you've got there.
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:23 am

Here are some "end of season" pictures taken the last week of August & the first week of September, 2011.

1) Dinner-plate dahlias
Dawn's Garden  Dinner10

2) "Sunspot" sun flower
Dawn's Garden  Sunspo10

3) "Teddy Bear" sunflower
Dawn's Garden  Teddy_11

Dawn's Garden  Teddy_10

4) Green peppers (they're so little this year!)
Dawn's Garden  Green_10

Dawn's Garden  Green_12

5) Australian Butter Squash (if it had had a long, hot season, they would be larger and reddish orange. Here's hoping they will ripen indoors)
Dawn's Garden  Austra12

Dawn's Garden  Austra13

6) Golden Acre Cabbage (love this - it got much bigger before I harvested it)
Dawn's Garden  Golden10

7) Purple Basil - tastes and smells faintly of licorice
Dawn's Garden  Purple10

8 ) The main garden
Dawn's Garden  Garden11

Dawn's Garden  Garden12

9) This is our other cat, relaxing in the flower bed. Very Happy
Dawn's Garden  Saj_pa10

A few more pictures to come of some of the vegetables I harvested...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dawn's Garden  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn's Garden    Dawn's Garden  Empty

Back to top Go down

Dawn's Garden
Page 1 of 1