The Green Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Green Forum

The Green Forum for Wild Food, Eco Companies, Sustainability, Vegetable Growing and Medicinal Plants

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Making Fruit Leathers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

Making Fruit Leathers Empty
PostSubject: Making Fruit Leathers   Making Fruit Leathers EmptyWed May 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi
I had a recipe in a book but Im trying to find it..It can last up to 3 years this little baby so Im going to put it in the preserving food thread too.
I havent made it myself yet but will do this autumn..with a video of course!

Rosehip Fruit Leather

6C Rose Hips (tops off)
1/4C Lemon Juice
3T Agave
3C Water

Mix Hips, Water and Lemon Juice in a blender until pulp is smooth - the seeds will not break down so strain the pulp through a mesh strainer into a large bowl. Add Agave and if you like 1T of ginger or 1t of Cinnamon to pulp and stir well. Pour pulp mixture onto a teflex sheet and place in deydrator. Dry at 105 overnight then peel off teflex and try for another 3 hours. Cut into strips and roll up.

http://berrybluetoes.blogspot.com/2009/09/rosehip-fruit-leather.html

Good for the heart and circulation

I suggest you watch all of these ray mears videos on wild food
if you havent already. All the video is in high quality. This is a must watch series

Making Fruit Leathers Rosehi11

Last edited by Floyd on Thu May 19, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://greenforum.forumotion.co.uk
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

PostSubject: Hawthorne Berry Fuit Leather   Making Fruit Leathers EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Here is another method which I will prob use.

Pick ripe hawthorne berries

Simmer for 15 minutes in saucepan with water half the volume of the berries and allow to cool

Mash berries with potatoe masher to remove pulp from seeds then rub through a sieve to make finer still

Pour into baking trays less than half a centremeter thick

Put trays in oven at lowest temp to dry (or use food dehydrator) (or your solar one Silver!!)

Leave until pulp is dry and leathery then peel off before too sticky and store in air tight jars.

Eat 2cm square each day for healthy heart.

So if you use a solar dehydrator, you can make this with just berries and water and they will keep for years.

One to remember!

This is from Hedgerow Medicine by Julie Burton Seal and Matthew Seal

Last edited by Floyd on Thu May 19, 2011 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
silver*

silver*

PostSubject: Re: Making Fruit Leathers   Making Fruit Leathers EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Quote :
I had a recipe in a book but Im trying to find it..It can last up to 3 years this little baby so Im going to put it in the preserving food thread too.
I havent made it myself yet but will do this autumn..with a video of course!

Rosehip Fruit Leather

6C Rose Hips (tops off)
1/4C Lemon Juice
3T Agave
3C Water

Mix Hips, Water and Lemon Juice in a blender until pulp is smooth - the seeds will not break down so strain the pulp through a mesh strainer into a large bowl. Add Agave and if you like 1T of ginger or 1t of Cinnamon to pulp and stir well. Pour pulp mixture onto a teflex sheet and place in deydrator. Dry at 105 overnight then peel off teflex and try for another 3 hours. Cut into strips and roll up.

http://berrybluetoes.blogspot.com/2009/09/rosehip-fruit-leather.html

Good for the heart and circulation

Hi floyd not sure wether this is hawberries (as title of your thread ) or rosehips (as recipe) but if it is rose hips you dont want to be eating the hairs that are around the seeds. they are an irratant even after cooking so you could either scrape out seeds and wash away hairs before blending or cook hips and strain through muslin layers over night .
silver*
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin
Floyd

PostSubject: Re: Making Fruit Leathers   Making Fruit Leathers EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Yes ive changed the title to Fruit leathers (general). Got my rosehips mixed up with my hawthornes!!
Yep it says you gotta get rid of those hairs. Yuk
Cheers Silver
Floyd
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making Fruit Leathers   Making Fruit Leathers Empty

Back to top Go down

Making Fruit Leathers
Page 1 of 1