The Green Forum

The Green Forum for Wild Food, Eco Companies, Sustainability, Vegetable Growing and Medicinal Plants

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Gardening Updates

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dawn

PostSubject: Gardening Updates   Tue May 17, 2011 8:55 am

We spent most of yesterday outside, fixing the rock flower beds (boyfriend), working in the yard, and planting a garden (me). I have always gardened in containers. I quickly discovered that even just planting the seeds and thinning out the dirt in an in-ground garden makes for a lot more work. Boy, I ache today! It will be worth it, though.

So far, I have planted...

* swiss chard
* curled scotch kale
* cosmic purple carrots (for an example, see http://sustainableseedco.com/Cosmic-Purple-Carrot-Seed.html )
* Nantes carrots
* Canadian wild goose beans (new this year)
* Beka brown beans (rare - grew these last year)
* Montcalm red kidney beans (rare - new this year)
* beets (new this year - we'll see what happens)
* potatoes (BF planted these in another small garden plot)
* rosemary, basil (regular and purple ruffled). lemon balm, parsley in containers

I currently have these seedlings indoors, which will be planted in containers or the garden next week...

* tomatoes - Amish paste (new), Martino roma, Carbon, and plum lemon (new)
* chocolate bell pepper, yellow, and orange bell pepper (what I really want are some RED peppers but none are sprouting)
* corn (Gaspe Flint - rare - this will be an experiment, can be seen here http://www.heritageharvestseed.com/corn.html#gaspe)
* Australian butter squash (rare, but I think these are going to take over the yard...hee hee http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-p-z/squash/winter-squash/australian-butter.html you can also look it up on Google Images)
* buttercup squash
* two or three cabbage (Mammoth Red and Early Golden Acre...this will be an experiment....have never grown cabbage before)
* cucumbers (if I have room)

I also planted sunflowers up the side of the garden to help attract bees, and nasturtiums to hopefully ward off any pests.

This feels like a grand experiment. I have had success growing things in containers but for some reason have a fear that nothing I've planted in the brand new garden patch with grow! It had better...I'm hobbling around today like a 90 year old woman who did 4 hours of hard core yoga. tongue
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Tue May 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks Dawn thats sounds great..are you making a video or a photo diary of your exploits? I would love to add them here and to our metacafe video account if you did!
Ive got about 3 sunflowers on the go though god knows where im gonna put them.
Good stuff Dawn
Back to top Go down
http://greenforum.forumotion.co.uk
Dawn

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Fri May 20, 2011 8:24 am

I'm home for a quick lunch break before heading back to the office. Did a quick poke through the containers and garden where I have planted seeds to see if there's any change.

I have discovered that there is rogue squash growing everywhere! The seeds must have come from the compost bins. I now have squash growing in my rosemary container, basil container, and in the garden where kidney beans were planted. I'm tempted to let it grow a bit more, transplant them into pots, and give them to whoever wants them. Heaven knows I have enough in the way of squash planted and growing indoors at the moment.

Very please to see my Canadian Wild Goose beans are popping up already. Yay! If you're curious, you can see what this type of bean looks like here:

http://www.heritageharvestseed.com/beansce.html#canadianwild

Better scrub my hands and get back to work!
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Fri May 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks for the update Dawn. Ive had a few rogue sunflowers grow in various pots. As I throw em over the balcony for the finches and blackbird some of them landed elswhere!. I just transplanted them and gave em away thoug kept 2 or 3. Will you be eating squash soup every day by any chance this autumn?
You could always microwave them!
microwave
Back to top Go down
olgraybear

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Sun May 22, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks Dawn,

Love the info - please keep it coming. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
silver*

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 pm

This is a before and after of a 4mx4m area at the front of our hoose that I have reclaimed for veg and herbs Very Happy

I am growing onions ,garlic ,challots, spinach ,broad beans ,lettuce, rocket ,pak choi ,miners lettuce ,leeks and herbs .There are 2 pear trees ,2 gooseberry bushes and 8 potato bags and a small raised bed made from old shelves with 6 more potato plants .Still got a wee space for something small . Round the corner I have raspberry bushes and blackberries and peas in old toy boxes against the house wall.

silver* flower
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Tue May 24, 2011 10:53 pm

This is great Silver. You have done a really good job there. Thanks for sharing the photos. Just shows you what can be done turning relatively unused space into vegetable producing paradises!!
Outstanding
Back to top Go down
silver*

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Wed May 25, 2011 12:12 am

thanks floyd Embarassed
was hard work, did it all me self .ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE Cool sunny
Back to top Go down
Dawn

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Thu May 26, 2011 1:37 am

Silver, that is fantastic! Thank you for posting the picture. They really do "say a thousand words". I must get on the ball and figure out how to transfer pics from a digital camera to the computer. Tech savvy, I am not!

My boyfriend and I were out wandering around the yard this morning before he left for work at 7am to see if there were any changes or if anything had sprouted overnight. I took him to the garden to show him the kale that has just sprouted (yay!) and the one lonely bean - a kidney bean - that has finally shown it's face. As I was showing him, our very big orange kitty pushed open the front door, trotted over to where we were, plopped on the ground, and curled up right on top of that bean, purring! He looked like he was incubating it, or acting as Grand Guardian of the Bean. It was so cute. Very Happy I haven't looked to see if he squished the bean instead of protected it!
Back to top Go down
silver*

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Thu May 26, 2011 3:18 am

It would be great to see some photos of how you are getting on Dawn always interesting to see how other folk do things
I have 3 cats that like to follow me about and see what I am up to in the garden then usually dance about where I have sown seeds or worse use it later as a litter tray pale . I keep any bushy twigs when pruning and lay them over the top as defense or use a mini poly tunnel . though sometimes they shelter in them if it rains if I dont closed it securely and one blew off the other day in the strong wind so just sticking to the sticks . These are my turnip seedlings in there cat free pad

silver*
Back to top Go down
Dawn

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Sun May 29, 2011 3:53 am

My BF realized that the rogue squash that was appearing everywhere in the garden and in our containers wasn't in fact squash, but sunflowers! The seeds from the tiny sunflower heads I composted at the end of last summer obviously survived. Such is the power of heirloom flowers and vegetables! *L*

I was out this morning planting some marigolds around the tomato plants to keep the bugs away. Last night, I planted the tomato and pepper seedlings I started, as well as a few tomato and pepper plants we bought from the local greenhouse. This is the first time I have ever *bought* vegetable plants to grow, and I feel oddly guilty/uncomfortable having done so. My seedlings are so small this year, though, and we have such a short growing season (I'm in zone 2a), that we decided to buy some larger greenhouse varieties (hybrids! Oh, the shame and horror! No ) as insurance.

The sun is starting to peek out from behind the clouds at the moment. Thank goodness. It has been rainy/drizzly and cool for about a week. It has frozen everything in its tracks.

Silver: I chuckled reading your last post. It's funny how cats love to "help" and "supervise" when we're working in the garden, isn't it! And by "helping", I mean sitting on top of seedlings, sprawling across flowers that happen to be in the best patch of sun, and peeing in anything that has been newly weeded or tended!

The Gaspe Flint corn I was hoping to grow might not happen this year. I started some in pots - two have sprouted - but we simply ran out of room. I would love to find someone locally who has lots of room to grow this, and who isn't growing any other corn variety. No point in growing a rare heirloom variety 10 feet away from another variety and having everything cross pollinate.

Off to find the camera and see if I can get some pictures. Cool
Back to top Go down
silver*

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:37 am

potatoes are growing well with a little help ! The grass cuttings I am using as mulch warm up so quickly in the sun she loves lying right in the middle At least they are big enough now to not get flattened!!

silver*
Back to top Go down
Floyd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Great pic silver
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Updates   

Back to top Go down

Gardening Updates